When can a Y chromosome test be used?
The Y chromosome is inherited by all male children from their father. The chromosome has a relatively infrequent mutation rate and will remain unchanged for many generations. All males from the same male lineage will have the same Y chromosome profile. This makes the Y chromosome test ideal for verifying the existence of biological relationships between alleged male relatives.Typically, individuals tested want to confirm if they share the same father, making them thus, at least half brothers.
- The paternity of a male child can be confirmed by testing the alleged father’s male relatives. This is done when it is not possible to carry out a paternity DNA test.
- If fraternal siblings (brothers) want to find out if they share the same father
- Male cousins wanting to check if their fathers were brothers or find out if they share a common Grandfather through the paternal line
- In immigration cases, this type of test can be used to prove a biological relationship exists between males.
- In adoption cases, adopted males may confirm their relationship to someone they suspect may be their biological father.
You will receive your DNA test result in 5-7 working days from the moment we get your samples at our laboratory. The price for the Y Chromosome Test is $699.
Note: We can only guarantee standard result turnaround time when testing takes place solely using oral swab samples. Using a discreet sample for your test may lead to an increase in turnaround time.
Are you females?
Females who wish to know if they share the biological father can opt for an X chromosome test. X chromosome testing is a 10 genetic marker DNA test that can accurately tell you whether females share the same biological father. In order to offer this test, we will need to have the mother’s sample in cases where females have the same biological mother.